Saturday 16 February 2013

Why Alison In Wonderland?

Alice in Wonderland 1951
Growing up I think that I maybe saw Alice in Wonderland once.  When I turned 15 or 16 I went crazy for Alice in Wonderland.  The books, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll are amazing!  But that is not why I am Alison in Wonderland.   
 

Through the Looking Glass
- Lewis Carroll
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
 - Lewis Carroll






















Growing up all through elementary school my classmates teased me an called me Alison in Wonderland.  That, on top of having a last name that no one could pronounce made early formative years less than perfect.  Eventually that term of endearment that I despised so much was replaced with Nature Girl, which really wasn't much better.  Growing up I think that I was afraid to like Alice because she represented childhood mockery.  For a long time I blocked the girl, the film, and the name from my consciousness but lately I have been thinking about my elementary school name again and I decided that it really isn't so bad.  In fact, Alison in Wonderland is a pretty cool nickname if you ask me. 

So here we are, Alison in Wonderland, talking coming out of the closet as a Walt Disney fan, the laughter, the tears, and everything in between. 

No comments:

Post a Comment